Sunday, January 10, 2010

Fasting and prayer

For those of you who don't know me, I also thought I'd mention that I love God. That's important to know when I'm doing something like this...because it is inevitable that while fasting, God will be using the opportunity to supernaturally work in my life. I am expecting it. I am expecting mountains to be moved.

I woke up this morning thinking of something that happened years ago and I thought I would share the story. I was in college in Detroit at the time and chose to use my spring break to spend some time with the Franciscan's of the Renewal in the heart of the Bronx. They run a couple of homeless shelters, soup kitchens, and provide activities for kids who live on the streets...among other things. I was also contemplating the possibility of joining the order. Possibly.

Well, the Franciscan's take radical vows of poverty, chastity and obedience...none of which were so unattractive to me that I wouldn't consider it. I drove the 10 hours and was welcomed by some of the most joyfilled, beautiful women you could imagine. I was given my room with a bed and bathroom and settled in. I was up before my alarm at 4am and in the chapel for morning prayer before anyone else was awake. I was ready to serve! We ate all meals as a community and the first breakfast was great! We enjoyed toast, peanut butter, honey, nuts, yogurt, coffee and tea. A simple, beautiful breakfast. Everyone was full of joy.

We all went our separate ways in various ministries and I was helping to make beds at the homeless shelter and really worked up an appetite. We all met back at the convent to have lunch as a community. On the menu: Toast, peanut butter, honey, nuts, yogurt, coffee and tea. I was kind of hoping for a sandwich, but when in Rome, right? We continued to work all day, and I mean HARD work. I was hungry! We all met back for dinner and I was happy to hear of all the different stories from the day. Everyone was laughing. On the menu: Toast, peanut butter, honey, nuts, yogurt, coffee and tea. I wasn't laughing...and my joy vanished. I'm not kidding. That's not what I felt like eating. For three days, this was what was provided and the women were so grateful for what they had.

At the end of the first week, myself and one other sister were going to pray with a woman dying of aids in the slums. On the way, we passed a pizza joint. Oh God. I almost came unglued. I asked sister if we could stop and get some pizza. She looked at me as though I had 4 heads and said "We don't have money for pizza". I assured her that I had money and even frantically pulled out my wallet to show her. Let me buy the pizza! She explained that her vow of poverty didn't allow her to enjoy things that her brothers and sisters on the street could not also readily enjoy. We would have lunch provided at the convent. Menu: Toast, peanut butter, nuts, honey, yogurt, coffee and tea. I was beside myself and all I could think of was the pizza.

The next morning, I was in the chapel and talking to God...letting Him know that I was ready and willing to serve. If He wanted me to give up my life and serve the poorest of the poor...I was ready. I just thought I would have "heard" from Him by now. In my heart (I am not kidding), I heard the still small voice say "When you begin to think of me as much as you have thought of this pizza...then you will be ready to give your life." Whoa!

To make a long story short, I love food. A time of fasting such as this gives me the opportunity to put it on the back burner (where it belongs) and to focus on other important things. I think God also takes my little sacrifice and does great good with it. I have seen mountains move this week when joining my fast with prayer. I hope the same is happening for you. God is still in the mountain moving business.

Excuse me while I have my breakfast. On the menu: Walnuts, honey, fruit and tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment